Tuesday, May 28, 2013

On Being Successful

A few weeks ago I received an invitation for my 10 year high school reunion. Everyone wants to go back and brag to everyone about how they are a great spaceship captain or lion tamer, but certain networking websites make that difficult in modern society. Several of the people from the guest list have since friended me on Facebook. Curiosity struck me to research them a bit. I've found a few people to have become rather successful. This has me looking back to the fruits of my labor, writing, and trying to compare. All I can think of is that song by Ben Folds and Nick Hornsby.


It is hard being a writer at a reunion, surrounded by business people. It can seem on when they have their houses, children, jobs, and their always present phrase "it just felt like the next step" to guide their every decisions and you have your words, papers, and pens. I, on the other hand, never really felt like any of that to be my goal. I wanted to share ideas that make people think. My goal is being met and I can't ask for me.

Just Remember: Those classmates of yours that all have kids can't go out and party like those who don't. Take advantage of the fun. Also brag as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment